Sunday, September 6, 2009

2: Revolutionary Ideologies, May 29, 1992, SF State course

2.

Unpublished examination essay by Lurene Helzer for SF State course taught by Prof. Dwight Simpson, Revolutionary Ideologies, May 29, 1992. I earned grade of A-minus. This slightly edited reproduction of the handwritten text should be perceived by reader as my early ideas, not necessarily my opinions of 2006 and on. Still, it’s interesting to read now just because I am so much different in my opinions.

I later changed many of my views because of academic studies, and what I like to think is common sense. I also changed because I had talks with people of diverse national backgrounds – former residents of Eastern Europe, Russia and Iran. After talking with people from dictatorial states, I increasingly recognized my early, far-left views as childish. Needless to say, the majority of American apologists for Cold War Russia of those years vanished after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Few, if any, have since stepped forward to admit they had been deliberately blind, and wrong.

I do not have the original test questions, unfortunately.

No comments: